Safety, Health and Wellbeing

Employee Assistance Program

Our role is to develop and assist in the implementation of the UWA safety, health and wellbeing programs in order to minimise the risk of injury, illness and property damage.

We provide consultancy and other services to promote best practice and legislative compliance in all University and related activities.

Further Information

EAP Transition

From 1st April 2017 PeopleSense will be UWA's new external EAP provider.

Existing Optum clients (first session prior to 31/03/17) can complete the prescribed six sessions with their Optum counsellor


University staff members familiar with the EAP and available for further advice include:

Safety, Health & Wellbeing

Phone (+61 8) 6488 4683


Employee Relations

Phone (61 8) 6488 3845



The University provides free, confidential and professional assistance to employees and eligible persons through the Employee Assistance Program (EAP).

The two service providers who currently offer the program on behalf of the University are:

  1. Objectives
  2. Services
  3. Procedures
  4. Attendance
  5. Confidentiality


The Employee Assistance Program is intended for people who are experiencing difficulties of a personal or work-related nature. The EAP provides assistance for issues such as:

  • conflict resolution
  • coping with change
  • interpersonal relationships
  • marital and family problems
  • anxiety, stress, depression
  • trauma and critical incidents
  • alcohol and substance misuse
  • grief and loss issues
  • impact of financial and legal problems
  • coaching for managers and supervisors.

The University provides this service in order to promote a satisfying, safe and healthy work environment.

Employees and approved University affiliates, family members, a person whose care is the responsibility of the employee, and people in close relationships with the employee may access the program. This extends up to 3 months after termination of employment at UWA.

Managers and supervisors are expected to support and encourage the use of the program by staff.

Back to top


The program provides the following:

  • confidential and professional advice
  • feedback to the University on general organisational issues
  • assistance to the University in ongoing organisational development
  • assistance to senior staff to develop skills in employee management
  • quarterly statistics to the University for review of policies and procedures.

The service provider's role is to provide a short-term intervention service for issues that can generally be dealt with in six or fewer sessions. Further sessions may be made available upon a request to the University from the service provider. 

A Manager Assistance Program is available through PeopleSense. This service is primarily delivered via telephone consultation however face-to-face consultations can be arranged. This service allows managers to proactively address employee issues and enhance their management or leadership skills. Topics may include team conflict, performance management and negotiation skills.

All staff members who act in a supervisory role can access the Manager Assistance Program without affecting their entitlement for the prescribed six EAP counselling sessions. 


PeopleSense provide a high quality web based platform at which includes an online resource centre.  UWA staff and clients can access information on the common presenting problems including stress, depression, anxiety and relationship issues. These articles have been written by PeopleSense‚Äôs Clinical Psychologists and are based on the latest scientific evidence.

Back to top



Any eligible person may contact the service provider directly and arrange an appointment when there are issues to be discussed in a private and confidential setting without anyone in the University being involved. This is the typical way of accessing the EAP.

Suggested referral

The manager or supervisor may inform a staff member of the services provided by the EAP and suggest that the employee may benefit from using these services. Safety and Health representatives, or any other University employee may become aware of developing situations where EAP services could benefit fellow staff members and may suggest self-referral (in confidence) at an early stage.

It should be noted that employees are not obliged to use the services of the EAP following such suggestions.

Group conflict resolution

Where incidents or workplace conflict arise, and where managers or supervisors believe group facilitation will be effective, then involvement with an EAP service provider may be desirable.

Attendance may be either as an individual or as a group. Group sessions, are additional to individual entitlements. Central funding of up to $1000 is available to assist with group conflict resolution service provision.

Trauma or critical incident

The manager or supervisor should be aware of the possible emotional impact of a work-related trauma or critical incident and referral options available to employees.  Safety, Health and Wellbeing typically arrange onsite counselling support in consultation with the UWA Critical Incident Management Team following a critical incident. Refer to the Critical Incident Counselling Procedure.

Specialist assistance

A person using the EAP may be referred to an appropriate agency where the nature of the problem is such that further professional help is considered desirable. The service provider may, upon referral to the specialist provider, liaise with them and continue to act as point of contact for the specialist provider.

The University does not meet the cost for such additional specialist services.

Back to top


EAP services are available during work time and after hours through PeopleSense.

Arrangements for time off during working hours to attend sessions will be the same as that which exists between supervisors and staff members for any other form of time off work. This may include an application for short leave or sick leave with the provision of the usual certificate requirements where necessary.

The University expects that supervisors would be supportive of employees wishing to use the EAP and, where practicable, provide flexibility for the employee to attend during work time.

Back to top


Be assured that if you use the EAP, discussions with the service provider will remain confidential, although there are a few exceptions to this, and they will be explained in the consultation.

Staff members may decide that it will assist them if their supervisor is informed about their situation and how it is affecting their work. In such a case the staff member must give written permission to the service provider for a specified person to be contacted.

Back to top