Safety and Health's role is to develop, advise on and assist in the implementation of the University's Occupational Safety and Health Program.
We provide a consultancy service to The University of Western Australia's community, thereby ensuring the provision and maintenance of the highest possible standards of health and safety for all employees, students, contractors and visitors.
Through the University's management structure and with the support of all employees, students and the University's contractors/consultants, Safety and Health will:
- assist in creating and maintaining a safe and healthy environment by promoting safety, health and risk awareness throughout the University
- oversee the implementation of the University's Safety and Health Program
- support and promote an effective network of consultation and communication between management and employees and their representatives
- support the University's networks of Safety and Health Representatives, School Safety Officers, First Aid Officers, Wardens and others
- minimise the risk associated with accidents, illness and disease which may occur in the University's environment
- assist the University in meeting its legislative and best practice requirements in these areas.
Safety and Health fulfils its role by:
- providing expert advice and assistance on safety and health issues
- taking a leading role in policy development
- supporting a University-wide network of safety and health personnel and committees
- overseeing laboratory design and inspections
- conducting safety and health management system audits and inspections
- conducting ergonomic assessments of workplaces
- assisting in the implementation of emergency evacuation procedures and training
- co-ordinating and delivering training programs
- providing coordinated rehabilitation programs to support injured employees and ensure a safe return to work
- workplace support for staff members and their supervisors who may have non-work related injuries
- coordinating the Employee Assistance Program.
- providing a Health and Wellbeing Program for staff