It is important to address health and safety issues as soon as possible to minimise the risk of harm from hazards. The University has Notification and investigation processes which are provided to ensure that health and safety matters are reported, investigated and resolved effectively. These processes follow sequential, escalating steps for resolution of issues. WorkSafe WA can be notified if there is a risk of imminent and serious harm. Where a worker has a health and safety issue or problem that needs to be resolved the following steps shall be followed.
- Report the matter to Supervisor of the affected workplace for resolution.
- If not resolved, where there is a workplace Health and Safety Representative, the Supervisor shall advise and consult with the Health and Safety Representative with a view to developing a strategy for resolving the issue. Otherwise the Safety Officer for the area should be consulted.
- If the issue remains unresolved then the workplace Health and Safety Representative or Safety Officer shall refer the issue to the Head of School or Manager of the School, Unit or Centre for resolution.
- If the issue remains unresolved the workplace Health and Safety Representative or Safety Officer shall refer the issue to UWA Safety, Health and Wellbeing for resolution.
- If the issue remains unresolved then UWA Safety, Health and Wellbeing shall refer the issue to the University Safety Committee for resolution.