Safety, Health and Injury Management and Wellbeing

Workers' compensation

Our role is to develop and assist in the implementation of the UWA safety, health and wellbeing programs in order to minimise the risk of injury, illness and property damage.

We provide consultancy and other services to promote best practice and legislative compliance in all University and related activities.

Further Information


Workers' Compensation Officer (+61 8) 6488 7931

Workers' compensation booklet

External links

Workers' Compensation in Western Australia is covered by the Workers' Compensation and Injury Management Act (1981) and is administered by WorkCover WA.

The aim of the workers' compensation and injury management system is to support injured workers to remain at work or return to gainful work at the earliest appropriate time. A worker, who suffers a work-related illness, injury or disease and needs medical treatment and/or cannot work because of the injury, is entitled to claim workers' compensation.

Claims procedure

  1. Work related injury, disease or illness occurs or is noticed.
  2. Seek First Aid or medical treatment. If medical treatment is required, ensure the medical practitioner supplies a Workers' Compensation First Medical Certificate.
  3. If major injury call (+61 8) 6488 2222 for ambulance and (+61 8) 6488 3938 for immediate reporting to UWA Safety and Health.
  4. Ensure that the injured worker's Supervisor and UWA Safety and Health Representative (SHR) or School Safety Officer (SSO) are notified.
  5. Complete a UWA Confidential Incident/Injury Report Form or Needlestick/Sharps Injury or Exposure to Body Fluid Report Form within 24 hours of the injury occurring.
  6. Email Part 1 (Initial Notification) to UWA Safety and Health – [email protected]. The injured worker's Supervisor is required to complete Part 2 and email to [email protected] within five working days of the injury occurring.
  7. Workers’ Compensation forms are forwarded to the injured worker, including a form to be completed by their supervisor/head of school/school manager or section head. Forms include:

    Workers' Compensation Claim Form

    To be completed by the injured worker
    Witness Statement
    May be completed by an eyewitness or any person having knowledge of the incident
    Employer's Report of Injury Form
    To be completed by Head of School/Unit, School Manager or Supervisor
    Journey Form
    To be completed by the injured worker if the injury occurred in a motor vehicle.
  8. Supervisor and/or injured worker forwards completed forms and Workers’ Compensation First Medical Certificate to UWA Safety and Health.
  9. UWA Safety and Health will submit forms to the University’s insurer within five working days.
  10. Insurer notifies employee of the status of their claim within 10 business days (whether accepted, pended or disputed).
  11. Every medical visit requires a Workers’ Compensation Medical Certificate (such as a Progress Medical Certificate).
  12. Medical certificates, approved treatments and prescription invoice/receipts are to be forwarded to UWA Safety and Health.
  13. A Return to Work Program is developed if the worker is unable to return to full pre-injury duties or if they have restrictions. Regular monitoring of progress by UWA Safety and Health and regular reviews with the treating medical practitioner (every four weeks as a minimum).
  14. Once fully recovered, a Workers’ Compensation Final Medical Certificate is obtained.