This course is intended for staff or students who are required to use 4WD vehicles in off-road situations as part of their normal teaching or research duties.
(4WD: Vehicle with dual range Four Wheel Drive capability configured to meet the drivers licence class (Auto/Manual))
Postgraduate and master's students who require training are asked to apply through their School Manager.
You will learn:
- responsibility for personnel, vehicles and equipment
- preparation for the trip
- maintenance of vehicles
- minor repairs
- avoiding hazards
- off-road driving
- survival techniques.
- gain an understanding of the pitfalls of off-road driving
- become aware of correct driving techniques
- become aware of survival techniques in harsh climate conditions
- understand the process of reducing risks on 4WD field trips.
For 4WD use off road the Nationally Recognised Training one day course Off Road 4WD (RIIVEH305D & TLIC2025) is required as a minimum. (TLIC2025: Operate Four Wheel Drive Vehicle from the Transport and Distribution Training Package).
- A greater level of practical application suited to remote and isolated 4WD
- For using light commercial 4WD (or Non 4WD) vehicles on highway and gravel surface only, then the On Road 4WD course may be appropriate
- Tailor courses according to the School’s requirements
UWA is currently not providing these courses. Training is available via local training providers who can meet the above certification codes