For further information contact UWA Safety and Health at [email protected].
How do I access the Health and Safety induction?
- Go to Blackboard LMS
- Enter your login details: username (your 8-digit staff number) and Pheme password
- Search in Units for UWA WHS for Staff Induction.
Who must complete the induction?
The Health and Safety induction is compulsory for:
- All new staff
- Existing staff that have completed it more than 3 years ago
- Visitors unsupervised by a UWA delegate
- Non staff workers (e.g. Visiting academics, post-graduate students, undergraduate students, casual workers and volunteers) complete the ‘UWA Health and Safety Induction – Non Staff’ (See information below)
- Please note it can take up to two days after activation of your Pheme account to access the system.
All other workers who carry out tasks or activities must be inducted. This could include visiting academics, post-graduate students, undergraduate students, casual workers and volunteers depending on their working arrangements.
- There is a separate online health and safety induction for students
Students who have a staff 8-digit staff number must complete the Staff Induction rather than the separate online health and safety induction for students (this is important for students, who are staff, to have verification of induction).
What is the content of the Health and Safety Induction?
The induction provides the key information you’ll need in order to keep yourself and others safe and well at UWA. You will learn about your safety responsibilities, about safety procedures and tips, and about the support that is available to you at the University.
It takes approximately 30 minutes to complete. Once you successfully complete the quiz, you will be issued a certificate of completion, valid for three years, which will automatically record against your staff record.
Local Workplace Safety Induction Record
The on-line induction also needs to be supplemented by an induction which addresses specific health and safety aspects of the local workplace including:
- Health and Safety Manual
- Local rules
- Information on first aid
- Emergency equipment
- Introduction to management
- Introduction to health and safety personnel
This induction must be recorded locally and maybe audited by the local Health and Safety Committee and/or internal audit.
Pro-Forma Workplace Specific Health and Safety Induction Record
The following proforma Workplace Health and Safety Induction Record below is provided for use in the absence of an alternative, equivalent process which incorporates the same steps. It may be modified to suit specific local requirements.
NGL CO2 Research Building On-line Induction
Access to this building requires completion of both the UWA On-line Health and Safety Induction (above) and the NGL CO2 Research Building Induction. Access to the laboratories also requires completion of the NGL CO2 Research Building Laboratory Induction.
These courses are available on the UWA Learning Management System (LMS)