- Safety Related Training
- RiskWare - Online Hazard and Incident Reporting - Training
- Safe Driving on the Inner Campus
- Safety Awards 2019 - Save the Date 22nd November 10am
- Chemical Corner - Not in front of the (Children) Undergrads
- Staff Movements - Daniel Anderson
- HMS Safety SharePoint site
- University Safety Committee
- Previous Safety and Health Newsletters
- Wellbeing eNews
Safety Related Training
- Online Safety Induction
It is required for all staff to complete the Online Safety Induction every 3 years so if you are getting close, log into ELMO and tick it off before you get reminders in your inbox.
Also available at the above link are courses on Bullying in the Workplace and Sexual Harassment Awareness.
RiskWare - Online Hazard and Incident Reporting - Training
Training at your location is available by request - contact David Thatcher
Safe Driving on the Inner Campus
If you have a permit to drive on the inner campus, in an authorised vehicle, please be aware, that the following safe driving rules must adhered are listed below:
- Always have an escort to guide the vehicle on this inner campus
- Always drive below the speed limit - 5km/hr (walking pace).
- Utilise your hazard warning lights.
- Always give way to pedestrians – keep a safe distance from them.
- Be attentive and be able to stop suddenly, if required.
- Always stick to paths and main routes – do not drive on lawns or ovals.
Unsafe and wreckless driving will not be tolerated.
Safety Awards 2019
The Safety Awards for 2019 will be incorporated with the Professional Services Awards to be held on 22nd November from 10am at the Somerville.
Chemical Corner - Not in front of the (Children) Undergrads
They’re watching you.
As you walk into the lab without lab coat, glasses, in shorts and open-toed shoes.
As you open bottles, tins, vials and flasks bare-handed.
When you work on the bench not the fume hood.
In this lab with waste piling up and a spill kit………..where?
They don’t know what you know. They can’t assess the risks you’re discounting but they’ll copy you. Of course they will. You’re their role model. You take time to pass on research methods, statistical analyses, citation protocols and where to apply for the best grad program.
But like our kids at home our students can confront us with our own flaws and failings because they will do what they see us doing.
If they’re in your lab to learn what are you teaching by example?
Staff Movements - Dan Leaving
Daniel Anderson will be leaving us on 8th November and we will be welcoming back Kirrily Robson as Injury Management Consultant.
HMS Safety SharePoint site
Health and Medical Science Safety Team have a new SharePoint site.
Here is the link if you’d like to learn more:
University Safety Committee
The University Safety Committee last met on 29th October 2019. The next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday 3rd December.
Approved minutes from previous meetings are available from the Safety, Health and Wellbeing website. https://www.safety.uwa.edu.au/people/committees/safety
Previous Safety, Health and Wellbeing Newsletters
For those who have missed out on our earlier editions, copies of previous newsletters can be obtained from the following web site: https://www.safety.uwa.edu.au/newsletter . All are encouraged to distribute relevant safety information in your workplaces.
A reminder that the Wellbeing eNews is now available with lots of great tips and events to help you improve your health wellbeing. Click here to subscribe