- Safety Related Training 2015
- WHS for Managers and Supervisors Course - New Format
- UWA Safety Awards 2015
- Mental Health Week 2015
- Expert dietary advice consults on offer during National Nutrition Week
- Chemical Corner
- Light the Night Event - 9th October on the Great Court UWA 5:00pm
- University Safety Committee
- Previous Safety and Health Newsletters
Safety Related Training 2015
- Work, Health and Safety training for Managers and Supervisors NOTE: this has online components which are required to be completed prior to attendance. New format with one half day workshop:
• November 2nd
- Basic Resuscitation First Aid Courses (4 hours) on Monday 19th October and Tuesday 20th October https://www.safety.uwa.edu.au/induction-and-training/courses/resuscitation
WHS for Managers and Supervisors Course - New Format
The WHS for Managers and Supervisors course has been incorporated as a KPI in the UWA Health and Safety Objectives and Targets. We have given the course a complete overhaul and modified its delivery method and duration, including the following changes:
- Reduction of the face to face workshop duration to one half day – Previously two half days
- Addition of two online modules to the three pre-existing ones – These five modules need to be completed prior to the workshop. The modules are:
• WHS Legislation
• Safety, Health and Wellbeing at UWA
• Introduction to Hazard Management
• Incident Reporting and Investigation
• Workers Compensation and Injury Management
- Transition of the course from Moodle to Blackboard LMS – previous units in Moodle are no longer available
- The process we are using for enrolment and tracking completion has changed
How to enrol:
- Go to this page and follow the instructions to complete the online modules in Blackboard (https://www.safety.uwa.edu.au/induction-and-training/courses/work,-health-and-safety-for-managers-and-supervisors-course)
- Enrol for the half day workshop of your choice
Where sections have a large number of staff wishing to complete the course Safety, Health and Wellbeing can run the workshop at your location.
UWA Safety Awards 2015
Nominations have been received and results will be announced 26th October.
Mental Health Week 2015
Mental Health Week 2015 runs from Sunday 4th to Saturday 10th October, with the theme Act, Belong, Commit. It's an opportune time to consider what you can do to enhance your mental health and wellbeing. A number of events are offered on campus, including resilience and mindfulness workshops, guided meditation, free exercise classes and a lunchtime seminar on sleep health.
We’re also asking all staff during the week to put the number of Optum, our external Employee Assistance Provider into their mobile phone: 1300 361 008. That way, it will be there if or when you, a colleague or even a family member may need it to access free, confidential advice or counselling.
See the website for more Mental Health Week details. https://www.safety.uwa.edu.au/health-wellbeing/well-being/whats-on-offer/mental-health/mental-health-week
Expert dietary advice consults on offer during National Nutrition Week
To mark National Nutrition Week 2015, healthy eating consultations will be available free of charge for staff from Wednesday October 14 to Friday October 16. You’ll have 20 minutes with a Dietitian for personalised expert dietary advice. Held in Geography Seminar Room 1.
For staff not on campus, free dietary phone consultations are also available. Both can be booked online. https://www.safety.uwa.edu.au/health-wellbeing/well-being/whats-on-offer/healthy-eating
University real estate is always at a premium – there’s never enough space. But before you unpack your reagents, chemicals, tools and equipment I want you to think like a tenant or a guest. Would you happily push aside the previous tenant’s grotty towels, old CDs and strange bits of ‘stuff’? Too often I see old chemicals that ‘were there when I arrived’! Have them moved out before you move in; left in situ and they’re yours with all their risks and hazards. The items that cause me the most problems are typically old, unstable and ignored because ‘no-one’ is responsible for them or knows they’re dangerous. Do an inspection of your new workplace before unpacking. Give me a call – I’m available to help though I draw the line at grotty towels (ewww!).
If you’re the ‘vacating tenant’ then make sure the ‘towels, CDs and ‘stuff’ are removed or passed on to others who’ll use them. You can’t pack up your chemicals as you do your stapler and your personal coffee mug but you must ensure that they won’t be a nuisance or a danger to those who come after you. If you have particularly dangerous items (e.g. a litre of Hydrofluoric acid) then notify the area manager and the UWA Chemical Safety Officers (Laurton Mcgurk and Ruhani Singh) so we can take appropriate measures to deal with these items. Nothing sours memories of a departed colleague like having to clean up their ‘stuff’.
Light the Night Event - 9th October on the Great Court UWA 5:00pm
As part of a recently formed Community Partnership between UWA and the Leukaemia Foundation, the popular Light the Night event will be held on the Great Court at UWA; one of almost 100 locations across Australia to host the organised walks. Bunbury, Busselton, Albany and Broome are just a few of the WA towns to also confirm their participation.
Details of this event are below and please consider donating to or joining the UWA team.
- 9 Oct 2015
- Great Court, University of Western Australia
- Schedule of Events:
- 5:00pm – Event Starts & Lantern Collection
- 6:00pm – Onstage Entertainment & Official Welcome
- 7:00pm – Lantern Lighting & Light the Night Walk
- 8:00pm – Official Close
Entertainment: On-stage performances by Westend Studios Dance Crew and cover band Hi-NRG.
There will also be roaming performers and plenty of fun kids entertainment!
Public Transport: Buses are frequent with regular services from the city, Subiaco, Fremantle, Claremont, Morley and along Stirling Highway. Check your local bus/train schedule.
Parking: Parking within the university grounds is free from 5pm (carpark 1 off Stirling Hwy or carpark 3 & 4 off Hackett Drive).
Facilities: A range of food and drink options available to purchase.
University Safety Committee
The University Safety Committee last met on Tuesday the 11th August 2015. The next meeting is on Tuesday 13th October 2015. Approved minutes from previous meetings are available from the Safety, Health and Wellbeing website. https://www.safety.uwa.edu.au/people/committees/safety
Previous Safety and Health Newsletters
For those who have missed out on our earlier editions, copies of previous newsletters can be obtained from the following web site: https://www.safety.uwa.edu.au/newsletter . All are encouraged to distribute relevant safety information in your workplaces.