The Laser Safety Officer is responsible for the safe operation and security of lasers under their control as follows:
- All lasers of Class 3A and above are registered with the laser safety officer.
- All lasers and laser work areas are labelled in accordance with AS/NZS 2211.
- Schemes of work (local laser safety rules) are drawn up where necessary for the safe operation of lasers. These will generally be required using Class 3B and Class 4 lasers with beam paths that are not totally enclosed.
- All personnel intending to work with Class 3A and above lasers have read, understood and signed the local laser safety rules for each laser used.
- All laser users receive instruction and training in the safe use of lasers.
- Laser safety goggles are provided for all work with Class 3B and Class 4 lasers where the laser beam is not totally enclosed.
- Undergraduates work with the minimum power laser practicable and they operate under schemes of work.
- All laser incidents or accidents are reported to the laser safety officer.