These activities can involve exposure to hazards which require thorough planning and preparation.
Participants are required to be suitably informed, instructed, supervised and monitored so that assistance can be provided in the event of an unplanned incident. The links and documents below provide information relating to activities carried out overseas and to fieldwork planning.
Off Campus Activity Guidance and FAQ's during the COVID issue
Note: Please see guidance document below. Addressing the below points does not necessarily mean you will be approved for fieldwork. The advice is still: limited gatherings, adhering to social distancing recommendations.
We strongly suggest current Federal State and Local regulations and guidance be confirmed.
WA Government travel and quarantine information found here
1) Can I undertake my Off Campus activity i.e. fieldwork and other off site visits?
2) Can I travel or conduct fieldwork interstate or internationally?
- Currently interstate travel is via Head of School determination on case by case justified needs assessment.
Insurance coverage for unexpected quarantine stay-overs etc. is not available. UWA COVID FAQ and moreover the staff intranet UWA Leaders Guide provides more specific details. Consideration is required that if interstate and quarantine rules are suddenly enforced sufficient budget is available to support this.
3) What other factors may affect the way I plan and conduct fieldwork?
- Demonstrability that the fieldwork / task is necessary i.e. That more cost effective alternatives have been explored. *Works can't be conducted by parties in the local area.
- Risk assessments now need to address COVID-19 risk (addressed in the same manner as other risks)
- Evidence your proposed tasks and travel can adhere to current social distancing requirements.
- Evidence of risk based assessments have been made for both participants in general and the tasks being performed and potential impacts to the wider community.
- Inclusive of considerations for, if something goes wrong i.e. an incident/accident.
- Planning showing consideration if someone presents with COVID-19 symptoms.
- Work methods in more hygenic way especially on common touched surfaces and shared equipment
- If quarantine rules are enforced sufficient budget is available to support the impacts of this.
4) Can I use a UWA Fleet vehicle?
- Specific vehicle use is still determined by the area managing the respective vehicles.
- Standard vehicle and driver safety still applies info here
- Addition COVID considerations with fleet vehicles found here
Oh yeah and Wash your hands regularly with ample soap and water